Fire that destroyed longhouse confirmed to be electrical

December 28, 2012 11:33 a.m. - Updated: 11:45 a.m.

Investigators confirmed an accidental electrical fire is to blame for the destruction of the Chief Joseph Nez Perce Longhouse.

The fire started at 12:30 a.m. Wednesday at the historic longhouse on the Colville Reservation. The building, a religious and cultural center for the Colville Confederated Tribes, was completely destroyed, as were all of the historical items stored inside.

The tribes’ History and Archeology Program will be collecting photos and memories about the longhouse from tribe members, said John Sirois, chairman of the Colville Business Council of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation.


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
Back to Spokesman Mobile