South Hill apartment fire likely caused by smoking in a bedroom

December 31, 2012 8:46 a.m. - Updated: 4:54 p.m.

A fire that displaced residents of three apartments on the lower South Hill early Monday appears to have been caused by someone smoking in a bedroom, according to the Spokane Fire Department.

Firefighters responded at about 3:30 a.m. to 1405 W. 8th, a news release said.

The fire was confined to an upstairs unit in that building, but two other units were damaged by smoke and residents of all three units were displaced, the release said. Residents were being assisted by the American Red Cross. No one was injured.

The fire was estimated to have caused about $30,000 in damage.

Map of this story's location

Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus
Back to Spokesman Mobile