Construction, renovations continue in Spokane schools
November 28, 2012 - Updated: 8:53 a.m.
State-of-the-art technology, wide open spaces and naturally lit hallways are all features in the schools being built, rebuilt or renovated in Washington’s second-largest school district.
Spokane Public Schools is about midway through its 2009-’15 bond projects.
The $322 million districtwide plan included rebuilding and/or restoring four elementary schools – Westview, Jefferson, Finch and Hutton – and rebuilding and restoring Ferris High School. Classrooms will be replaced at Mullan Road Elementary School and added to North Central High School.
And several schools will receive new ventilation, roofing and floors. All schools will have safety, security and technology upgrades.
The following are under construction or next on the list:
Administration and commons portion of the new Ferris High School. (SR Photo: Colin Mulvany)
Ferris High School
• Location: The corner of 37th Avenue and Regal Street
• Project: Complete renovation of auditorium and performing arts department; replacement of all classrooms, offices and public spaces
• Estimated project cost: $97.7 million
• Approximate construction period: May 2011 to summer 2014
Rendering of renovated Hart Field in south Spokane. (Courtesy: MMEC)
• Location: Athletic facility is between 33rd and 37th avenues and Manito and Grand boulevards
• Project: Renovating the athletic accommodations. When complete, the new tennis courts, athletic fields, paved parking spaces and modernized field house will be surrounded by native trees
• Estimated cost: $2.5 million
• Approximate construction period: Summer 2012 to summer 2014
A new Jefferson Elementary is under construction on the South Hill. (SR Photo: Colin Mulvany)
Jefferson Elementary School
• Location: 37th Avenue and Grand Boulevard; moving to corner of 37th and Manito Boulevard
• Project: Rebuilding the school at the new site and restoring historic building
• Estimated cost: $24.8 million
• Approximate construction period: Spring 2012 to fall 2013
Rendering of Finch Elementary in north Spokane. (Courtesy: MMEC)
Finch Elementary School
• Location: 3717 N. Milton St.
• Project: Removal of portable classrooms and demolition of non-historical additions and infrastructure; construction of new classroom wings to accommodate current educational specifications; complete modernization of the historic structure
• Estimated cost: $26.9 million
• Approximate construction period: Spring 2013 to fall 2014
Information provided by Spokane Public Schools